4 June 2007

The Price of Progress

I had a day off today after working 7 days straight and I heard on the radio this morning that there were Icebergs in Freshwater bay. This is off the East coast of Newfoundland. I decided I was going to go Iceberg hunting. I drove to Signal Hill after dropping Lewie off to school. Armed only with my little camera. There are 3 visible Icebergs from the top of the hill. The biggest one is close to Blackhead and I am sure you get a much better view from there. In my pursuit of Icebergs I drove along Marine drive and stopped by MUN marine lab. There is one visible from there too. I thought I spotted another one that looked to be by motion point. So I drove to our favourite location Motion Point. For me this place has it's own beautiful spirit. A place where you are one with nature. A place that makes you respect the powerful and unstoppable force of the Ocean and Mother Nature. I pulled up to our usual parking spot to find that there is now a road there. I drove along the dirt road and there are building lots for 15 houses marked along the side of the road. My heart sank, I hardly recognised the place. I went for a short walk and found that the green space by the cliffs and down to the waterfall is still open but for how long I do not no, there are survey posts along here too. A beautiful space to have a home but at what cost.

No comments: